Introduction to Yoga with Shreshthi May 30, 2023
Ayurvedic Insights from Salila Sukumaran May 02, 2023
Understanding Astrology with Shreya Grover April 27, 2023
Discovering Ayurveda with Dr Risha Sharma April 26, 2023
- Acne Prone & Oily Skin
- Award Winners
- Bath & Body Oils
- Bestseller Specials
- Candles & Incense
- Citron Glow
- Eye & Lips Oils
- Face Cleansers & Toners
- Face Masks
- Face Oils
- Full Size
- Gift Sets
- Hair, Body, Bath & Baby
- Herbal Supplements
- Home page
- Kapha Dosha
- New Arrivals
- Oil Test Category
- Pitta Dosha
- Pure Love
- Rose Rapture
- Santal Silk
- Sets + Gifts
- Travel Size
- Treatment Oils
- Treatments: Hair, Brow, Lip, Navel
- Trial Kits
- UMA Ultimate Ayurveda Kit
- Vata Dosha
- Wellness For Home
- Wellness Oils
3 Kapha-Balancing Recipes to Keep You In Great Winter Health
As Kapha season surrounds us with elements of stability, but also a hint of stagnation if the Kapha is vitiated, diet comes to the fore as we aim to remain balanced, warm and vibrant through this season of slowdown leading to new beginnings in the spring. In keeping with Ayurvedic guidance on eating seasonally, fresh and to balance the influence of the prevailing seasonal dosha - we bring you 3 easy kapha-balancing recipes that will you strong, energized and focused this winter.
Here are a few ideas to get you through the week.
Warming Vegetable Ragout (Serves 2)
- 1 large onion – cut into wedges
- 1 medium turnip
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium beetroot
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- Spices: 1 tsp. curry powder, cinnamon (pinch), turmeric (pinch)
- Parsley leaves and lemon zest (for garnish)
- Ghee (clarified butter), mustard oil, and unsalted butter
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Peel and chop the turnip, carrots, and beetroot into ½-inch cubes and toss with half a teaspoon each of ghee and mustard oil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender
- Heat ghee in a large skillet and cook the onions until golden brown
- Add the roasted vegetables into the skillet, adding vegetable stock, spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until vegetables are thoroughly coated
- Garnish with parsley and lemon zest
Optional: Pick cornbread for your choice of carb for its kapha-moderating properties!
Carrot Probiotic Drink (8 servings)
- 5-6 medium carrots
- 2 medium beetroots
- 8 cups of filtered water
- Chili powder
- Mustard powder
- Black salt, to taste
- Thoroughly rinse and peel the carrots and beetroot
- Sliver the carrots and beetroot into 1-inch long pieces
- Mix all the ingredients together in a glass or ceramic jar, and cover with a lid or muslin cloth
- Leave the jar in the sun for 3-4 days, stirring the jar every day with a clean wooden spoon and covering it back up after stirring
- The fermentation should lend a sour taste to the mix, which should be ready to drink in 3-4 days
- Consume within 1-2 days of making for a great digestive boost and kapha-pacifying goodness!
Slow-Cooker Recipe: Mustard and Turnip Greens (4-5 servings)
- 3-4 lb. mustard greens (the world’s healthiest greens according to Whole Foods!) – sub kale if not available
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Spices: ½ tsp. turmeric, chili powder, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Ginger, 2-inch, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 7-8 garlic cloves, chopped
- Thoroughly clean and rinse the greens and turnips and boil on high heat for 10 minutes
- Drain the greens and add to slow cooker with stock, ginger, jalapeno, garlic and spices
- Slow cook on low for 4.5 hours
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Your Guide to Pure & Natural Ingredients
Pure, real ingredients are part of our DNA and we...
Dare to Bare Your Soul
Going bare isn’t just about going makeup free. It’s about...
4 Ways to Show Yourself Some Love This Valentine's Day
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, many of us...
3 Important Mindsets to Have the Best Day, Every Day!
We wrote this post first for the new beginnings and...
Ayurvedic Lifestyle, Exercise & Diet Guidelines for Winter
Winter is here and it's time to remind ourselves that the changes...
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue and Boost Energy
We’ve all been there – in the midst of a...
Natural Ways to Fight Body Odor
Summer is for playtime and not worrying about underarm sweat...
Dear Mom, You're the Best. Happy Mother's Day!
In our eyes, moms are some of the best...