Anti-Aging Essentials: How Pomegranate Reduces Fine Lines and Inflammation
Interested in learning about more anti-aging ingredients? Check out the rest of our Anti-Aging Essentials series here.
Often touted as a superfood for its abilities to boost the immune system and lower inflammation, pomegranate is also a superstar for skincare. Esteemed in ancient Egypt both as a nutritional and medicinal wonder, this fruit is packed with antioxidants that benefit both mind and body. Thanks to these abundant antioxidants—which include Vitamin C, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid—pomegranate makes an extremely efficacious anti-aging tool. When added to your daily skincare routine, this all-natural solution can reduce wrinkles, fine lines, inflammation, and more.
Anti-Aging Benefits of Pomegranate Seed Oil
- Fine line reduction: Pomegranate is full of polyphenols—plant-based micronutrients—like anthocyanins and ellagic acid, which, as cosmetic scientist Dr. Shuting Hu notes, “help to detox the skin of free radicals while also repairing skin that could have been damaged from environmental factors like UV radiation.” Studies show that these detoxifying and reparative qualities enable pomegranate seed oil to improve skin cell regeneration and elasticity, thus decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Deep hydration: Pomegranate also contains powerful fatty acids that hydrate and soften the skin. Dry, cracked, or flaky skin becomes moisturized without leaving visible oiliness or stickiness. Studies show that pomegranate seed oil’s deeply penetrating properties make it an effective moisturizing and protecting skin treatment, making it a powerful solution for all skin types.
- UV protection: Thanks to its abundance of antioxidants, pomegranate seed oil is also believed to protect the skin from the free radicals in UV rays and pollution. Studies corroborate the notion that it provides a natural form of protection against UV rays—though, of course, wearing sunscreen remains extremely important.
- Increased collagen production: Rich in Vitamin C, pomegranate also stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, which in turn increases skin elasticity. This elasticity tightens and tones loose or sagging skin, imbuing it with radiance and youthfulness.
- Decreased inflammation: Antioxidants and Vitamin C in pomegranate also allow it to reduce inflammation, which occurs as a natural result of its ability to combat free radical damage. As aesthetician Taylor Worden tells mindbodygreen, pomegranate seed oil “works as an anti-inflammatory to decrease inflammation, fight the free radicals, and will lighten, tighten, and brighten the skin.”
Ready to try out this wonderful, antioxidant-packed, anti-aging oil? UMA recommends our Absolute Anti Aging Discovery Kit, Ultimate Brightening Face Oil, and Total Rejuvenation Night Face Oil. These products utilize pomegranate seed oil in harmonious combination with other powerful ingredients to make the ultimate anti-aging remedies.
- absolute anti aging discovery kit, anti-aging, Anti-Aging Essentials, total rejuvenation night face oil, UMA Ultimate Brightening Face Oil