Anti-Aging Essentials: How Turmeric Extract Can Make Your Skin Glow
Interested in learning about more anti-aging ingredients? Check out the rest of our Anti-Aging Essentials series here.
Turmeric has been long revered in Ayurvedic tradition for its numerous benefits for both health and beauty—not to mention the vibrant kick it adds to cooking. The impressive versatility of turmeric derives from its main active ingredient, curcumin, which is a bioactive compound with potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Thanks to these properties, turmeric packs a powerful punch when it comes to our health: studies show that curcumin can ameliorate conditions such as heart disease and depression, and even promote longevity through its anti-aging effects.
In addition to these wide-ranging health and wellness benefits, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric make it an excellent anti-aging tool. While studies show turmeric’s positive effects on overall skin health, it is particularly effective in promoting radiant, even, and toned skin. When incorporated into one’s skincare routine, it can combat signs of aging and produce a glowing, youthful complexion.
Anti-Aging Benefits of Turmeric
- It evens and tones: “Turmeric contains the antioxidant curcumin, which is also anti-inflammatory and can lighten pigmentation,” Dr. Michelle Wong tells Byrdie. By protecting the skin from free radical damage caused by factors like the sun, pollution, and stress, turmeric’s powerful antioxidant properties allow it to even and tone the skin. It can also reduce the appearance of age spots.
- It promotes radiance: In addition to its ability to bring evenness to the skin, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nature of turmeric also deeply hydrates the skin and brings out its natural glow. As a result, turmeric simultaneously tones the skin and promotes radiance for a bright, glowy complexion.
- It combats inflammation: Research supports the idea that turmeric can inhibit the body’s inflammatory response, making it a powerful tool against inflammation in the skin, like acne, eczema, and fine lines. This anti-inflammatory quality further enables it to promote brightness and evenness.
- It heals dry and damaged skin: Unfortunately, as we age, our ability to heal wounds in the body decreases. Studies show that the curcumin in turmeric promotes wound healing, making it an efficacious combater of damage and an excellent supplement to the body’s natural healing processes.
To fully reap the benefits of turmeric for a glowing, bright complexion, we recommend trying out our Absolute Anti Aging Aloe Rose Toner, Deeply Clarifying Neem Charcoal Cleanser, and Flawlessly Firming Neck Chest & Décolletage Serum.
- A-Beauty, absolute anti aging aloe rose toner, anti-aging, Anti-Aging Essentials, deeply clarifying neem charcoal cleanser, flawlessly firming neck chest and decolletage serum