"Living in Harmony with Ayurveda: Insights from an Ayurvedic Doctor on Ayurvedic Lifestyle- Dr. Muskan Soni"
Dr. Muskan Soni, an Ayurveda health coach believes that Ayurveda works wonderfully in acute as well as chronic conditions, such as knee replacement, migraine, digestive issues like IBS, skin disease like Psoriasis and vitiligo, paralysis and sciatica to name a few.
1. In your opinion, what are the first 3-5 things an individual can do to get started on an Ayurvedic way of life?
⁃ Here are the first 3-5 things an individual can do to get started on an Ayurvedic way of life:
a. Determine your Prakriti (body type) to understand your unique needs.
b. Eat a balanced, whole food diet that aligns with your Prakriti .
c. Practice daily self-care such as Abhyanga, Nasya, and stress reduction techniques.
d. Follow a daily routine that aligns with your body's natural rhythms.
e. Avoid unhealthy habits that can harm your body and mind, and cultivate healthy habits that support your well-being.
2. Can you share a few examples of when you have seen Ayurveda at its most transformative, or essentially its best?
-I met with an accident in my first year of BAMS. I had a deep burn in my leg and as a natural instinct, I went to an Allopathy hospital for emergency treatment. To my surprise, the bandage and medication continued for 1.5 months and it healed only halfway. I was tired by the end of it & finally approached my professor-doctor. He simply asked me to apply oil that he had prepared and to discontinue the medicine. My burn got healed within 7 days. That was the first time I came across the magic of Ayurveda.
3. Are there certain situations, persons, or diseases that you have found Ayurveda to be more valuable for?
-Absolutely! Ayurveda works wonderfully in acute as well as chronic conditions. I have seen miraculous results in patients with paralysis, sciatica, avoided surgeries for people advised to go ahead with knee replacement, migraine, digestive issues like IBS, skin disease like Psoriasis and vitiligo*. I can name a lot more, these are just a few examples.
4. Are there situations or conditions you believe Ayurveda may not work, or that other modalities may provide greater impact?
⁃ As I have experienced a journey with Ayurveda, I don’t feel there is anything particular in which Ayurveda won’t work as compared to other modalities. Still, in some situations like cardiac or other emergencies, we may need to take help of other modalities. [Note from UMA Editors: If you believe you are experiencing a medical emergency please call 911 (or your local medical emergency number) or seek immediate care from the nearest hospital]
7. What are the top 3-5 Ayurvedic herbs you believe we all need in our lives? Do they have any caveats or contra-indications in some situations?
⁃ Ayurveda uses a wide range of herbs for various health benefits. Here are some of the top Ayurvedic herbs that can benefit most people:
⁃ It's important to note that these herbs may have side effects or interact with certain medications, so it's always best to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare provider before starting any new herb or supplement.
9. Could you share a favorite Ayurvedic recipe? (could be anything – an Ayurvedic breakfast or tea, a cold remedy, something for indigestion, or detoxing)
Sure, here's a recipe for an Ayurvedic digestive tonic called "Jeera Water":
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
• 4 cups water
• 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1. In a small pan, dry roast the cumin seeds over low heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add the roasted cumin seeds to 4 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the cumin seeds.
5. Let the jeera water cool to room temperature.
6. Add honey to taste (optional).
7. Enjoy your refreshing and soothing Jeera Water!
Jeera Water is a simple and effective Ayurvedic remedy for digestive issues such as bloating, gas, and indigestion. Cumin seeds are rich in antioxidants and essential oils that help stimulate the digestive system, reduce inflammation, and promote healthy gut flora. Drinking jeera water regularly can also help boost your metabolism, detoxify your body, and improve your overall digestive health.
*This content is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease, or affect the structure or function of the body. The information herein does not constitute medical advice. Anyone suffering from a medical condition should consult with a physician. User reviews do not constitute a guarantee that you will achieve the same results -- what works for one may not work for another.