If you’ve been finding that your morning routine has primarily consisted of a hurried shower and applying mascara while waiting at a red light, this post is for you. Here are a few tips on how to simplify your beauty routine and still kill it (beauty wise and work wise!):
- Cut Down on the Number of Products: Rushing through an eight step routine can lead to crooked eyeliner and hastily smeared lipstick, so choose just a few products that can be applied quickly and easily. Try swapping your foundation for a tinted moisturizer, or lipstick for a multitasking lip and cheek stain.
- Skip the Wash: That second-day grease you hate so much? It can actually help you tame your hair into an updo (like an upgraded ponytail) or calm down flyaways. If you really can’t stand the excess oil, use dry shampoo to quickly cleanse your strands and save you an extra hour of z's.
- Keep your Purse Stocked: Throw your makeup, perfume, and deodorant in your bag so that even if you forget one of these crucial products you can stop by the bathroom and just grab it out of your bag. (Hint: Pros keep dental floss, too!)
- Prep your Outfit the Night Before: There’s nothing like stumbling through your closet looking for a non-wrinkled blouse only to find it doesn’t match your last (clean) pair of pants. Lay out your clothes or hang them on one hanger, with the shoes below, the night before. Now you can say goodbye to those 10 minutes of frantic searching!
- Workout and Shower at Night: This may not work for everyone, but it’s a huge time saver for us— and the extra bonus is that your workout can benefit. In the morning you may be tempted to rush through your workout, while you could spend hours at the gym (theoretically!) in the evening. If you find yourself struggling to fit a workout in at the end of the day, look for a class that you love to help you stay committed.
- Use High Quality Products: Quality is better than quantity, particularly in skincare products. Investing up front in potent formulas means you can improve your skin’s appearance, and see lasting results. Here at Uma, we produce very concentrated formulas with powerful, natural ingredients so they can be easily and effectively added to a routine. You want your beauty products to do the work for you, not the other way around!
- Keep Some Accessories in your Bag: Grabbing a happy hour cocktail after a long day at the office? You don’t have to pack an entirely new outfit, just throw a statement bracelet or earrings in your bag so you have an option for the night ahead.
- Have your Bag Ready to Go: Put all the essentials you need in your bag before you go to sleep. Your charger, laptop, files and spare makeup should all be ready to go before you even open your eyes. Planning a trip to the gym? Toss your workout clothes and shoes in there ahead of time as well.
- Prep your Meals the Night Before: Even if it’s just putting a prepackaged salad and an orange into a paper bag in your fridge overnight, this extra step will shave off a few minutes. Extra bonus: Pre-picking what you eat the night before means you’re less likely to pick unhealthy munchies the next day out of desperation.
- Take a Minute to Breathe: We know, this sounds like you’re adding time to your routine. But taking time to relax in the morning can help keep your stress levels low throughout the day. Take a few deep, calming breaths and roll your shoulders forward then backwards for several breaths. Gently point your chin to your chest and make a half circle with your neck, starting from your left ear and moving to your right. Reverse and repeat for several breaths.
You got this. You can still take on your morning routine and make it to that 9AM meeting, looking great the whole time!