Vedic Astrology: Understanding Horoscopes as Guidelines for Life with Pranati Nanda
1. What are the origins of Vedic astrology?
Vedic astrology originates from Vedas.
2. Can you give us a brief overview of the scope of Vedic astrology, like its central practices, purposes, and goals?
Vedic astrology is based on the belief that stars and planets have a powerful influence in our lives. The vedas say that a person's prior karma is directly related to the position of stars and planets, and thus astrology is the method of understanding one’s karma by analyzing these positions.
Vedic astrology has 12 Zodiac, 9 Planets, 2 Stellar planets, (5 Planets 2 shadow planets) and 27 stars. Astrology is used to understand all aspects of life, including the future success of a particular endeavor, like marriage, moving into a new home, or a business venture. Vedic astrology goals for human life are dharma, Artha, Kama, moksha.
3. Help us understand how one should think of a “horoscope”? Is a horoscope essentially one’s future carved in stone, or is it a guideline? Are there things one can do to change the course of one’s horoscope?
Horoscope is more like an X-ray of our Karma. A person should see it as a guideline which is here to guide you. These are the hurdles and hardship and how to work for it instead of crying on something in the long run. The willpower and good karmas can change one's horoscope's negative effects in life. A person gets fully aware of his/her karma they can bring joy, satisfaction and harmony in one's life.
4. What is the difference between a star sign and a rising sign? Are there other types of signs?
In Vedic astrology there are three main signs.
Lagan (Rising) Sign - In the NATAL chart, this is the first house
Sun Sign- the house in which the sun sits (in a horoscope) is the Sun sign.
Moon Sign- the house in which the sun sits in a horoscope is the moon sign.
Rising is responsible for a person's nature, Sun for one's profession and Moon is responsible for emotions.
5. What are some recommendations you have for someone to get the most out of their initial Astrology journey?
Learn the basics & work on making the foundation strong. Astrology is not just a standalone/ one-off topic; it is nuanced and there is opportunity for endless learning. A teacher or expert can guide you, especially in the early stages.