Introduction to Yoga with Shreshthi May 30, 2023
Ayurvedic Insights from Salila Sukumaran May 02, 2023
Understanding Astrology with Shreya Grover April 27, 2023
Discovering Ayurveda with Dr Risha Sharma April 26, 2023
- Acne Prone & Oily Skin
- Award Winners
- Bath & Body Oils
- Bestseller Specials
- Candles & Incense
- Citron Glow
- Eye & Lips Oils
- Face Cleansers & Toners
- Face Masks
- Face Oils
- Full Size
- Gift Sets
- Hair, Body, Bath & Baby
- Herbal Supplements
- Home page
- Kapha Dosha
- New Arrivals
- Oil Test Category
- Pitta Dosha
- Pure Love
- Rose Rapture
- Santal Silk
- Sets + Gifts
- Travel Size
- Treatment Oils
- Treatments: Hair, Brow, Lip, Navel
- Trial Kits
- UMA Ultimate Ayurveda Kit
- Vata Dosha
- Wellness For Home
- Wellness Oils
Delicious, Indulgent Tridoshic Ayurvedic Pizza
One of the many things that we admire about Sahara Rose Ketabi is her refreshing, modern take on Ayurveda. The ancient science doesn't have to be complicated, says the Ayurvedic author and practitioner. It can fit your lifestyle. You can start slow. And—you can be Ayurvedic and eat pizza. The proof is in Sahara's insanely decadent, comforting recipe for Sweet Potato Pesto Pizza, which she generously shared with us below. The best part? It's great for all doshas.
Sahara Rose's Parihasa (Fun) Sweet Potato Pesto Pizza from Eat, Feel, Fresh
Just because you’re plant-based Ayurvedic, doesn’t mean the pizza party has to stop. In fact, it just got upgraded with a root veggie crust, plant-based pesto, almond feta, roasted chickpeas, and assorted veggies. The crust is super easy to make and chances are, you already have everything in your kitchen. You can omit the raw arugula, but I’ve found that even my Vata clients are able to digest it well when paired with warm, grounding ingredients, plus a little bit of raw foods alkalizes the body and contains cellular intelligence that can repair the gut. This crust contains the six tastes: sweet (sweet potatoes), sour (lemon), salty (salt), bitter ( arugula), pungent (curry), and astringent (walnuts), leaving you satiated and craving free. Best of all, it’s tomato free so you can share it with the Pittas in your life (we all have one!). —Sahara
1 cup baked and mashed sweet potato
1 cup oat flour (blended oats) or almond flour for Paleo
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp curry powder (optional)
½ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the plant-based pesto (makes 1 ¼ cup):
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
½ cup walnuts or pine nuts
1 garlic clove, chopped (omit for Pitta/yogic path)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Your choice of veggies (mushrooms, kale, artichoke coated in olive oil)
1 handful arugula tossed in olive oil and lemon, optional
Almond Feta (see Eat Feel Fresh for recipe)
Roasted Chickpeas (see Eat Feel Fresh for recipe)
- To make the pesto, combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is coarsely ground. Stream in the olive oil while blending. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato, flour, baking soda, oregano, basil, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Knead well until the mixture resembles pizza dough.
- Coat a wood board and rolling pin with flour and roll the dough into a large circle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until the crust edges are slightly browned.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Spread ¼ cup pesto over the crust, then top with feta, roasted chickpeas, and vegetable toppings. Broil for 3–5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cool briefly before slicing. Top with arugula salad and enjoy.
For more of Sahara's recipes and Ayurvedic wisdom, check out Eat, Feel, Fresh: A Contemporary Plant-Based Ayurvedic Cookbook.
- ayurvedic diet, Easy Ayurveda, eating for your dosha, Sahara Rose, Sweet potato pizza, Words of Wellness
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
The Ayurvedic Summer Diet
The conflict is real. There's beer and barbecues. But also beaches...
A Delicious—and Incredibly Simple—Ayurvedic Recipe for Glowing Skin
There is a direct correlation between what manifests in our...
3 Health-Boosting Morning Ayurvedic Practices (That Only Take a Few Minutes)
Traditionally, Ayurveda requires daily commitment to see change. But this...
A Minute with Sahara Rose: The Renowned Ayurvedic Author Who Is Modernizing the Ancient Science
At twenty-eight, Sahara Rose Ketabi seems like she is both a...
How Ayurvedic Self-Care Practices Can Help Relieve Anxiety
Anxiety is a condition that causes one to feel worried,...
The Gunas and Food: Maximizing a Sattvic Diet
In yoga and Ayurvedic practice more broadly, there are three...
What Your Period Tells You About Your Doshic Balance
Menstruation is a process that is both universal and deeply...
How Ayurveda Can Help Heal & Prevent Relationship Conflicts
Sometimes in our relationships, we find ourselves getting into arguments...